Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still. . .and Listened.


November 4, 2008 was a triumph. All day, the air was jittery with excitement and trace amounts of anxiety. The hope of so many people had been built up, stoked, and crammed into the anticipation of Barack Obama’s victory.

And what if he had not won? There seemed, through word of mouth, polls, and reported national sentiment, to be very little likelihood that the Cheney camp would succeed; so, if he had lost, the implications and repercussions would have been staggering, to say the least. But that’s another dystopian epic that I may have to leave to my nightmares and the conspiracy theorists, because today, January 20, 2009, Senator Barack becomes President Obama.

I remember his historic acceptance speech. I remember tears of joy streaming down my face shamelessly. I remember hugging all my friends and then setting out to the streets to wander Brooklyn amongst the diverse clumps of joyous people. In Bushwick, wandering down Broadway under the JMZ train, mere blocks from my apartment, I found myself walking amongst a group of rough-looking thug types, all joking and screaming “Obama!” At one point, one of them noticed me sauntering in their periphery and said to one of his boys, “Yo! is he with us?” And I quickly added, “Yeah. I’m with you.”

Now it’s an hour from Obama’s official inauguration. I have no doubt that his speech will be a miracle. So far, his every step and choice has been commendable from his judicious cabinet choices, to his earnest calls to arms. He has recognized the miserable status of our nation, and he has spoken to reinforce our ability to lift ourselves up from the rubble.

All across the world people are holding their breath. From Kenya to Ireland, from China to Brazil, more eyes and ears are focused intently on Washington, D.C. than ever before. Some are skeptical, some are optimistic, some expect miracles, and some remain practical, but all of us are ready.

We are ready for the Change that Barack Obama symbolizes, and the Future that All of Us must work together to manifest.

1 comment:

lauren said...

the time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit...all are equal, and all are free...greatness is never a given